Friday, September 4, 2009

Ukkarisida rotti and Junaka



"We did it, we did it............", Dora will be singing loud with her friends on television! My elder daughter suddenly wants to express that she loves me so much! She comes and sits next to me leaning and holding my arm and keep on telling "I love you" and would not stop until I tell her back "I love you"! My younger daughter is always behind her sister, but now wants to talk to me and tell me "amma(mommy)its Dora,Boots/amma A B C D E F G..../amma can you give me some water...." and she is non stop distracting me!!! My husband wants to discuss about what else we need to buy for the basement...............!!

All these are going on while I am blogging!! Please.........I sit only after my kids dinner is over and when all of my day chores are over, I sit for few minutes when I get the mood and thoughts of writing!

And above all, my husband and my brother are complaining that I am making some spelling mistakes while writing the blog!! Well! How can I concentrate when so much is going on and you need to write when you get the thoughts and when you have the mood to write!!

I am sure will focus more on writing and rectify the mistakes in future and hope my readers will understand the story behind my blogging!

We have decided that until the refrigerator is empty, until every single vegetable is used, we are not going for grocery shopping!! So this was the last day and almost every veggies were over and only couple of onions and tomatoes were remaining and my husband suggested to do "ukkarisda rotti and junaka"!! So today I am going to share the signature dish of my mother-in-law, "Ukkarisda rotti and Junaka" recipe. Those who love Rice and those who eat rice everyday, I am sure, would love this dish.

I made the junaka, and my husband made the rotti! But I always used to feel that my mother-in-law makes the best rotti, than my husband, but today was the best est rotti he made and it turned out to be very tasty and yummy, so here goes the recipe.


Ingredients for Rotti:

1 Cup Rice flour
2 Tbsp All purpose flour(Maida)
2 cups water
Salt to taste
1 Tbsp oil

Ingredients for Junaka:
2 Medium size red onions
2 Medium size tomatoes(very riped ones)
4-5 Green chillies
1 Tbsp Besan/channa dal flour
1 Tbsp Jaggery
1 Tbsp oil
1/4 Tsp Mustard seeds
Pinch of turmeric
Pinch of hing/Asafotedia
Few curry leaves
Few Coriander leaves
Salt to taste


Method of making Rotti:

Measure 2 cups of water and bring it to boil. And when its boiling add oil and salt and rice flour and the all purpose flour and DO NOT mix it. Switch off the stove and just make some holes so that the water comes up and close the lid and leave about 10-15 minutes.

And after 10-15 minutes open the lid and mix it well. Once its cool, take fist full of the batter and make a round ball and with the rolling pin, gently roll the batter, like how you do for chapathis. Do not worry if you don't get the nice shape. Use some rice flour while rolling the batter.

Now heat the tava/griddle and cook on a medium heat adding oil to it. This rotti takes time to cook nicely, so patience is required! And this rotti does not become totally brown. So please make sure that you cook thoroughly on medium heat.

This has to be eaten very hot else it would become hard. So keep the Junaka ready by the time the rotti is made.

Here is the Junaka recipe.

Chop onions finely. Chop tomatoes, green chillies and curry and coriander leaves finely. Heat oil in a deep pan and add mustard seeds and once it splutters, add hing,green chillies and onions and fry for a second and add tomatoes and add 2 cups of water and keep frying now and then to make sure that the tomatoes don't stick to the bottom of the pan.

Once the onions and tomatoes are cooked well, mix besan with little water, in a cup without any lumps and add that to the pan and add more water and jaggery,salt and curry leaves. The consistency of the junka is little thin, so add water if its too thick. The taste of junaka is little sweet, so thats why we add jaggery.

Boil for 10-15 minutes and garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with ukkarasida rotti and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment