Saturday, September 12, 2009

Kobrimitai


Its been a dull day, no sun, cloudy and since yesterday, it rained so much, everything outside looks grey,dull and wet!! I have colourful, beautiful flower pots on my deck, but all those flowers looks like, they were crying so much that, they are tired and cannot cry anymore!!!!!!!

Its kids nap time, house seems to be very silent and added to that there is no sun and outside is also grey and dull, making me more uncomfortable! So thought of blogging, which makes me cheerful and keeps me busy!

My husband went to India, to bring my mother-in-law, as she cannot travel alone! I thought of sending something with him..............!! Finally I got the idea of making "Kobrimittai", which my mom makes awesome and I love it so much, I thought of doing it and sending it!

Its been many years I tried to do kobrimitai! Here nobody comes to the house often and everybody is health conscious, so finally I have to eat the whole thing, which is not possible nor I would want to do it! There is no fun in eating alone, its always nice to share with your loved ones and if they liked it, then even if you don't eat also, it gives you comfort and happiness!

But I was very hesitant to try this recipe, since its been many years now! But today when I called my mother, she said that "It has come out really good and it tastes really good and your brother liked it very much"!

Oh! Now I am very excited to share the recipe with you, which is my mom's, hoping that you will enjoy as my parents and my brother did! Here goes the recipe!

Ingredients:

1 Packet coconut(Deep or MTR brand coconut,which you get in patel brothers)
2 cups sugar
2 cups Milk(you can use either whole or 2% milk)
4-5 Cardamom
Few broken cashew nuts
2-3 Tbsp Ghee

Method:

Take a deep pan or a deep non stick utensil, add the coconut,milk and sugar and put it on the heat on a medium flame. Once the milk starts to boil, be careful and keep stirring to make sure, that it does not stick to the bottom of the pan or utensil.

In a small pan add 1 tbsp of ghee and fry cashew nuts, until golden brown and keep it aside. Make a fine powder of cardamoms and keep aside. Take a plate which is little deep, and grease with ghee and keep aside.

By this time the milk would have started to reduce and you could see coconut,sugar and milk blend well, now add the cardamom powder and the cashew nuts and the remaining ghee and keep stirring well.
Keep stirring until all the milk are absorbed and you don't see any milk or watery content.
Once you are sure that milk is fully absorbed, transfer that immediately to the greased plate and spread it with evenly.

After 10-15 minutes take a spatula or a knife and mark either square or diamond shapes and allow it to cool for 4-5 hours.

Once its cooled the shapes would have been formed and you take it out, enjoy, eating the kobrimittai!

No comments:

Post a Comment