Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Rava Dosa




My brother and my husband always have discussions about opening a restaurant!! They both cook well and they want to resign to their high profile jobs and want to start a restaurant! I am always against to it! My personal opinion is one needs to have a art of running a business! I consider almost everything as a "art"! Idealism, principles don't work when you run a business or let me put it this way, you have to pay a "price" if you need to run a business and yet retain your ideals and principles! You may not succeed if you have lot of ideals and principles.

Well, when my brother or my husband reed my views may argue about "art of running business"!! I am not under estimating them! But they both have lot of ideals and principles, which they have to forgo if they have to run business and for which I know for sure, they cannot forgo their principles and ideals!

So we cannot do business! The first time I did the Rava Dosa, my husband got the idea of starting a restaurant, so that's how the whole thing came up!!!!!!!!

So when ever I do the Rava Dosa, I always do remember the conversation of opening the restaurant! Yesterday night I made Rava Dosa, after a long time and I want to share the recipe with you. Its my mother one of the most fantastic recipes, hope you all like and enjoy it.

Before writing about the method, I want to tell couple of things. In the picture, the batter looks white, actually it should look colourful!! I used white onions and I was running out of coriander leaves, which is a must for rava dosa! I feel red onions taste better than white onions, but I was crying a lot while cutting red onions so my dear husband was concerned and wanted to try white onions, where I don't cry 95% of the time I cut them!! Well here goes the recipe.

Ingredients:
1 cup Rava/Semolina
1/3 cup Rice flour
1 small cup of Yogurt
2 small red onions
Salt to taste
4-5 Green chillies(or adjust according to taste)
Few curry leaves
Few coriander leaves
1 Tsp oil
1/4 Tsp Mustard seeds
Few cashew nuts(optional)

Method:

Measure the Rava/Semolina(my mom uses the very thin semolina,which we get in Bangalore,chiroti rava,but you can use the regular rava which you get in the Indian stores) and the rice flour and put them together in a bowl.

Now whisk yogurt adding some water with the ladle or potato masher and add that to the rava and rice flour and mix well. The whisk yogurt will not be enough to mix and the batter will be still thick, but it is OK at this point!

Now chop onions finely, the more you chop finely, the more your dosa tastes better! Finely chop green chillies, coriander leaves and curry leaves.

Now add enough water to the batter, to make it very thin consistency. The rava dosa batter is really thin. To that add salt, onions and coriander leaves and mix well.

In a small pan heat oil and add mustard seeds and once it starts to splutter add curry leaves and add this to batter and mix well. If you desire you can put some cashew nuts now, frying while you add mustard seeds, you can add cashew nuts and fry them.

Now take the non stick pan and heat it well. We have a big pan, where you can make really a big dosa, using two gas burners!

Once the pan is heated well, pour the dosa batter and for this you can just pour it in how ever shape you want, since the batter is very thin consistency, you cannot really get a round shape and put some oil around the dosa.

Do the dosa on a medium heat, you can see that the bottom of the dosa has turned brown, you gently fold the dosa in the middle and take out from the pan and serve with ghee and chatni powder or coconut chutney and enjoy the crisp rava dosa! There is no need to turn the dosa and cook on the other side, since this dosa is really thin. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment