Friday, June 5, 2009

Everybody's favourite Ambode


Ambode! Thats the deep fried appetizer, which was one of the first thing I learnt when I started cooking. And somehow every single time I made it people loved it so much. Today its raining and cold and my husband's dialogue would be "Oh! ITs a nice weather to eat Ambode"! My brother always liked the dough, and would eat it before frying! So today I thought of sharing the recipe with you, hoping that you will like it!

Ingredients:

1 cup Channa Dal

Asafeotida (Hing,white hing,I always use it which has a great aroma,the SSP brand or Hotel Special brand is great,you get it in Bangalore,but I havent seen any here in Patel Brothers)

1/4 Tsp Turmeric
5-6 Green Chillies (adjust according to taste)
Salt to taste
1/2 cup coconut
Coriander leaves
Onions(Optional)
Oil for deep frying


Method:

Soak Channa Dal for half an hour. I soak exactly half an hour, looking at the clock, like if I soak at 11 I would grind at 11.30. Each and every step is important and if done according to the recipe the ambode comes out great!

And grind soaked channa dal with turmeric,salt,green chillies,asafeotida very coarsely. This is very important. So sometimes I grind green chillies once before adding the channa dal, so that green chillies are atleast mashed and then add channa dal,turmeric,asafeotida,salt and grind corasely. Another very important thing is dont use any water to grind. Thats how I make, if its too dry, just sprinkle water but dont use water to grind.

Put the grounded channa dal in a container and mix with grated coconut,and finely chopped coriander leaves. South Indians make Ambode for festivals so in festivals we dont use onions,thats why I have written as optional. But it would be great with onions also,which should be very finely chopped and mixed.

And if you are not making the ambodes immdiately you can put it the refrigarator, until you fry them.

While frying, take a deep pan or kadai, put enough oil(I use canola oil),for frying and make sure that oil is hot before making the ambodes.

When the oil gets hot, keep a cup of water aside, and grease your left pam with water and take the channa dal batter and gently press it, make sure that you dont press it very hard. Make sure that it binds and holds totogether, and dont make it flat, let it be little bulge and now put that in the hot oil and fry until golden yellow. You can put 5-6 ambodes at a time for frying.

Serve hot immeditely. This does not require any chutneys!

Tips: You can mix finely chopped dil with onions that would taste great.
If I had put the batter in the refrigarator, I dont put it outside to get that to the room temprature, I take out from the refrigrator and make it immeditely and if the batter is left I put it back again.

No comments:

Post a Comment