Friday, June 12, 2009

Saaru


My elder daughter,who is four and half is a picky eater and she gives me a hard time when it comes to eating! She has a very few choices, in her favourite list! One of them is Saaru or Rasam. You can serve her any day any time or even daily she will eat that happily! Actually I make two kinds of saaru,one is my mom's reciepe and another one is my mother-in-law's. Today I am going to write my mom's reciepe. So here it goes.

Serves 4-5 people
Ingredients:
1 cup of toordhal
Rasam or Saaru Powder 1-1 1/2 Tbs(or can adjust according to taste)
2 medium Tomatoes
1/4 cup of tamarind extract(lemon size tamrind soaked in water)
1 tbs of jaggery
Salt to taste
1 Teaspoon of ghee
Mustard seeds
Asafoteida/Hing
Few curry leaves
Few sprigs of coriander leaves

Method:

Pressure cook thoordhal and keep it aside. Make sure that dhal is cooked very well. Take a deep vessel, and squeze tomotes with your hands with little water and to that add tamarind juice,rasam powder,jaggery,salt,few curry leaves and bring to boil. Let it boil nicely for 8-10 mins. Now take toordhal and churn it nicely with the patoto masher(I have got the masher from India,Bangalore,the wooden one) and add to the boiling saaru. You can add little water now,if the rasam is thick just to make for a right consistency. And when it starts to boil,in a small pan heat the ghee, add mustard seeds,asafotedia and when mustard seeds starts to pop up immeditely add to the boiling saaru and add few sprigs of corainder leaves. And take out the rasam from heat. And serve very hot with hot rice, that would be really out of the world,with some happla and sandige(papads)!

Tips:
Rasam powder you can get in any Indian grocery store or can be made at home,its easy. I have written Rasam powder as add according to taste,becuase, every rasam powder differ in taste some may be spicy or some may be less spicy. I will add how to make the rasam powder in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment