Sunday, October 11, 2009

Avial




Now-a-days cooking looks like modern art, according to me! Modern art is something which only painter can tell what it is and is something which you cannot understand! So now cooking also looks like modern art! The combinations, the method for a single recipe would be so very different, every time you meet somebody and talk about that! The combinations of vegetables or lentils or the spices might sound so horrifying, sometimes that, you be will keep thinking that, how come it could be even possible to make and eat.
I am a conservative person, but that does not mean that I don't like change! But I think and believe that the original, basic recipe should never be changed, from whom ever you have learnt, either from your mom, grandmother or mother-in-law, those recipes are always authentic and perfect and can never go wrong and if you stick to it, your cooking rocks!!!! And your cooking always will be special, since it would be the most authentic and perfect taste!
My mother-in-law came 15 days ago, so I am little busy, trying to look like a "ideal daughter-in-law"!!?? My mother-in-law loves varieties, so I am just browsing all my recipe books, and today I saw the recipe for "Avial"!

Its been ages since I did Avial, since it cannot be done low fat or no fat. But today I thought of doing that, thinking that my mother-in-law might like it, and once in a way its fine to eat food which may not be heart healthy, but your heart will be still happy!

This is the authentic recipe of Avial, which is my mom's, and its really awesome recipe. Avail is just the combination of vegetables, when cooked together, gives a special aroma. Avial does not have any spices or lentils, not even curry leaves or turmeric, which you use in each and every cooking.

The speciality is only in the combination of vegetables. So here goes the authentic recipe of Avial, hope you will enjoy it, as much as I do and of course my husband loves it and will let you know if my mother-in-law liked it or not!!

Ingredients:

10-15 Beans

2 Big carrots

1/2 cup peas

Few Drumsticks(Frozen)

3 Raw bananas

1/2 Ash gourd

2 small German Turnips(Navilukosu)

1/2 Big cup of Yam(suvarna gedde)(Frozen)

15-20 Gawar Beans(Gorikai/Chavalikai)

6-8 Green Chillies(or Adjust according to taste)

1/2 cup coconut


1/4 cup of yogurt
1/2 Tsp Coconut oil
Salt to taste
Method:
Wash all the vegetables, except the frozen vegetables. Cut into one inch pieces the beans and the gawar beans. Scrap the carrots and cut into one inch pieces. Cut ash gourd into 1 inch pieces. Peel the raw banana skin and cut into one inch pieces. The rest of vegetables, drumsticks, peas, yam, are frozen so just put them outside the freezer so that it comes to room temperature.
In a deep vessel add all the vegetables and add some water and put that on heat. In mean while, grind green chillies and the coconut to a very smooth paste adding little water and keep aside.
Once the vegetables are cooked, add the green chillies-coconut paste and add more water if it is too thick and add salt and boil for 5 minutes. Add yogurt and boil for 2 seconds and add coconut oil and boil for a minute and serve very hot with hot rice and enjoy!




















No comments:

Post a Comment