Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Set Dosa


My husband loves the dosa I make! Whether it is set dosa or rava dosa or masala dosa he loves it any day any time. I was thinking today that its been a while that I made dosa and today I should soak for set dosa, which is my husband's favourite, since he will be home most of the time this week and he might be happy if I make set dosa. I would love to share the recipe with you today. This recipe is my aunt's, my mother's sister. She is also a wonderful cook. So here goes the Set dosa recipe.

Ingredients:
4 cups of rice
1 cup of pooha
2 Table spoons of Fenugreek seeds(methi seeds)
one fist full of urad dal
Salt to taste
Oil to make dosas

Method:
Soak all the ingredients over night. I soak Rice separately, since it takes time to grind smooth. I soak the rest of the ingredients, pooha,fenugreek seeds and urad dal together.

Grind rice first, if you are grinding in the mixer grind rice first to a very smooth paste, if you are grinding in a grinder, then first add rice and once its done grind pooha,fenugreek seeds and urad dal together to a smooth paste.

While grinding add very very little water and grind thick. Now mix toghter the rice,pooha,fenugreek,urad dal batter and keep it for 8-10 hours for fermentation.

The set dosa will not ferment much since there is not much of urad dal in it. So dont worry if the dosa batter has not raised in the container. Add salt and put it in the refrigerator immediately if you are not making dosas immediately.

When you are making dosas, heat the tava(griddle) first, sprinkle some water to check if the griddle is hot enough. Always make dosas on a medium heat. Now pour the batter and dont spread. You can put 2-3 small dosas on the griddle at a time, this can be done only for set dosas since batter cannot be spread.

And now put oil around the poured batter and wait patiently. You can see that the bottom side would have changed colour and turn the dosas to the other side just for a second,dont cook set dosas on the other side too much.

And take out the dosas, and place all the 2-3 dosas on top of one another and serve it with ghee and saagu and coconut chatni. I will write the saagu recipe soon! Enjoy the set dosa.

No comments:

Post a Comment