Sunday, February 17, 2019

Tomatoe Gojju





Good morning, dear Blog readers!  Well, in my part of the world it's morning!  I know, I know, it's been quite sometime, that I blogged and every time, I have a huge gap in writing, my blog always start with the above line, it's funny!  I like to be honest by saying, no specific reason behind not blogging!  I just did not do it!  Though, I missed writing, rather, typing a blog! Another funny thing, I noticed myself, that every time I am silent for a long time, I do write the same line, 'I missed writing'!  But it's true, I do miss!

Writing, is something, I love!  I am not too great, when it comes to express myself, verbally or vocally, but I know, myself for a fact, I can write, express, communicate awesome by writing!  Well, I am saying this confidently because, each important people in my life, has/had admired, appreciated, recognized, loved/loves still to read my messages/emails/notes/hand written letters/ and of course you, my dear readers, encouraged and supported reading my blogs!  I can say, I have/had a quite an interesting, important people who really really encouraged, admired my writing and looking forward and missed when I did not write!

It goes back long long time ago, when I was a small girl, I used to leave small notes to my mom, on the kitchen counter(on the sugar or coffee powder box, which was always on the countertop), it would be, even as small and simple note as "Amma, kobrimitai(an Indian dessert)was awesome, or Amma, you are looking so beautiful in that yellow saree.."!!

From there, I used started writing letters to my uncle and aunt(my mom's brother and sister), who went to work and got married and went to Delhi and Bombay, respectively!  I used to write long letters to my uncle, who was my role model, well, 'was', is always, but he passed away an year ago....!  I used to write all the details about the family...my mom's side a big family, with 7 sisters and 4 brothers.  And I used to write to him, about my visit to my grand parent's house and what every one was up to....!  I use to add my little observation about the visit, in a funny way, which he used to say, after a long day's of work and stuck in traffic, when I come home today, was nothing to eat and had to cook, but there was this letter waiting for me, which made me smile and laugh and did not know, when I finished cooking and ate!  My aunt, used to always say 'your writing is like your mom, you should take up writing, seriously'!

And later on, when my grandfather went to live with one of my uncle's in Mysore, I used to write to him, often.....and I must say, he was my biggest fan, ever!!

After I got married and came far away....started to write to my mom, my brother, my father-in-law, my sister-in-law, my aunt.......!  (Oh, actually, my communication with my husband started with letters and emails!!  Since I could not get visa immediately, I could not join him, so my communication with my husband was letters and emails!) Life started to get busy, with new things, but one thing never stopped was writing!

After two kids were born, I became busy, and I did not know to drive at that time, so I could not go out on my own, had to wait for my husband for everything.  So was always home, with small kids, and the only way to have 'my' time was to write!

That's when my husband, suggested to write a blog!!  At that point, in his life, he had so much of 'experience' about my writing, I must say!!  I might be sitting next to him, but I would have sent a message or a email..and emails were always pretty long.....! lol! So he suggested, I should start blogging!

That's when I started "Ultimate Vegetarian"!!  And today after 9 years, I still do write.....emails, messages, blogs....but no more handwritten letters!!  Its so unfortunate and so sad and depressing that, to those I used to write the hand written letters, my mom, my uncle, my grandfather, my father-in-law, are no more........!  And to those I still write, all those hand written now has been replaced, with emails, whatsapp messages, facebook messengers.........!

Now I have gotten two cute very young readers, my daughters!!  Well,  how they can be spared...lol!  I communicate, with them through emails and messages!!  Yes, that sounds funny, when I can talk to them directly.....but you need to ask their perspective, they would say, 'oh, she talks, writes, leave sticky notes..'! lol

Well, well that's my journey about my writing and one thing, lived with me constant, throughout my life, I can say is, writing!  Today thought of sharing with you all, my journey of writing.  Thanks from bottom of my heart for reading, silently following my blog, encouraging, and most of all, I could do so, is only because, of you, dear Readers!  I could do this, only because you read, and respond and appreciate and give me feedback! Thank you!

Okay, let's eat!  Today, I will be sharing 'Tomato Gojju', Gojju, can be described as tangy, sweet-sour dish and it's totally South Indian, especially, Karnataka style.  It can be prepared with wide varieties of vegetables and pineapple too.  Okay, if you are too new to the word, Gojju, now you can relate something to pineapple taste, which can be sweet and sour, that's exactly Gojju, taste.  I always say, it's an acquired taste! I am sure, many people don't appreciate or like the taste of pineapple, so it's either, you love Gojju like crazy or you dislike!! (lol), no medium path...like...i might like or not...!

Tomato Gojju, is yet one another, my mom's, the best, my most favorite, very tasty Gojju, which can be done super fast.  Since I wrote about myself today, I thought of sharing one of my favorite recipe, of my mom's today.

Here goes the recipe:

Ingredients:

Tomatoes-2-3(minimum)
Rasam powder-according to taste
Hing/Asafoteida-a pinch
Mustard seeds
Salt to taste
Sugar-depends on the tomatoes sourness
oil-1 tbsp
Curry leaves-few
Corainder leaves finely chopped

Method:

Wash and cut tomatoes into small pieces.  Add oil to the pan and when the oil is warm, add mustard seeds and when it splutters, add hing, curry leaves, tomatoes, rasam powder, salt, sugar, and on a medium heat, keep mixing it occasionally.  If required, add a very little water, as tomatoes itself are jucier.  Allow to boil, until all the tomatoes are nicely cooked, mushy, and add coriander leaves to garnish and serve this yummy, hot Tomato Gojju, with chapathis, rice, or Dose or idlis(acquired taste!).  It can be saved for more than a week, if made for 5-6 tomatoes, in the fridge and can be eaten cold too, with some warm chapathis or yogurt/curd rice. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Nice article written & nice info shared
    Now anyone in Nashik can buy grocery, Kirana, vegetable online at Navmi kart
    we have a wide range of products like regular vegetable & exotic vegetable like methi, palak, coriorndor, brocoli, ziccini, tomato, potato, avacado, cabbage, flower, drumstik, cucumber, aspargus, banana, mango, basil, bitter guard, bottal guard, brinjal, capcicum red green, yellow, carrot, cellery, chilli, cluster bean gawar, Colocasia Leaves, Coriander, Green Peas (Whole), Ice Burg, Lemon, kiwi, Mint Leaves, Mushroom, Okra (Bhendi), Parsaly, Pomegranate, Pumpkin, Ridge Gourd, Radish White, Spring Onion, Sponge Gourd, etc. & also get home delivery at your doorstep
    Online kirana in nashik
    Online Grocery in nashik
    Online vegetable in nashik

    ReplyDelete