Friday, January 3, 2014

Donuts with cardamom and dry coconut powder



You must be surprised to see my blog again......! Well, this is what,  happens, when your kids and husband are home, if it is snowing, the temperature has dropped down to single digit and it's super cold outside, you get stuck at home,  and you land up cooking and eating!

That's exactly happened in our house, well, to be honest with you, we cook a lot in our house, compared to any of our friends here!  Recently one of my friend introduced to her friend and when we were having a conversation about food and recipes....,my friend said, "Well, Bindu has lot of motivation to cook and also her husband is a enthusiastic chef himself...."!!

I was thinking about that conversation...and felt that it is so true!  Yeah, my husband is a good cook and also feels very happy not just, if the food served is good,  but if it has varieties, if it is different and the presentation is good, he will be very impressed and happy! I know, between you and me, it's lot of work and patience you need to have!

Initially it was hard for me and used to feel stressed out....but over 15 long years...I have gotten used to it and now I want to cook for the family, which is actually rewarding and makes me content when my family admires my cooking!

As I told you in my previous blog that I started to watch cooking shows and got motivated...and today also I got some inspiration to make Donuts from scratch, which I saw on this show. It's really awesome to know that people come up with the ideas to make all the stuff at home, which we think, it's impossible to do, for example, this Donut, which we feel that, OK, it's not possible to make it at home, but actually it's simple and no rocket science!

Since Donuts is kids, the most favorite dessert, I thought let me give it a try today! New year has started off slow...kids went to school yesterday and today it's snow storm and schools are closed, so they are home, husband is also home, and the weather channel guys are saying that the temperature is going to drop down to some -2 degrees this evening and all the extra curricular activities are cancelled and forced everybody to stay home, made me to keep the family little interesting trying out a new recipe and made all of them involve in the process of making Donuts, which was fun and exciting for them!

I did not expect that it would come out so nice, since I did not had couple of ingredients but I substituted with what I had, since it's not possible to go out and get it in this weather conditions. Still it came out nice, but I would suggest for you to use, the ingredients which are in the recipe. So here goes the Donut recipe, hope you will enjoy as much as we did, with a cup of hot cardamom tea or coffee on a cold winter evening! Nothing can beat home made, fresh, warm donut! (With snowman!)

Ingredients:

Maida/All purpose Flour - 2 cups(Sieve the flour)
Powdered Sugar - 1 Cup
Dry coconut powder - 2 Tbsp
Baking Soda - 1/2 Tsp
Vegetable shortening or Vanaspathi - 100 grams
Eggs - 2
Vanilla Essence - 1/2 Tsp
Pinch of salt
Oil for deep frying

Method:

Mix eggs and vanilla essence and keep aside. (Please note, you do NOT need to beat eggs).  In a big bowl add all purpose flour,powdered sugar,dry coconut powder,baking soda,pinch of salt,vanaspathi or vegetable shortening and the eggs and mix it to make it a firm dough. Keep aside for 5 hours.

After five hours, spread the dough gently on a aluminum foil or on the kitchen counter and make donut shapes with cookie cutter (I do not have cookie cutter so I used a cup). Heat the oil in a deep frying pan and deep fry the donuts golden brown on both sides. While the donuts are still hot coat the powdered sugar on top of it and enjoy warm donuts!

Note: Since I was running out of vanilla essence and I did not had Vegetable shortening or Vanaspathi at home, I put cardamom powder for flavor and put ghee instead of vanaspathi! Still it came out yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment