Thursday, November 5, 2009

Hagalakai Palya or Bitter Gourd Curry


I have always enjoyed and amazed about changing seasons,here in US! The bitter cold,snow,the bare trees without any single leaf and then spring,where ever you look around its blooming,then Summer,not to worry about wearing layers of clothes,not to worry about going out,then fall,where all the leaves changes its colour and looks so beautiful and colourful and awesome.
You must be wondering what happened to me that I have not blogged from many days now....!! Life seemed to be dull,no change,same routine, and added to that the weather made me feel very miserable. When I go out to drop off my daughter to preschool in the morning,the cold,makes me feel disgusted!

So there was no change in life,everything same routine, did not motivate me to blog!!

Today when I opened the refrigerator in the morning,thinking what I have to cook today, I saw bitter gourd, which was actually from past one week sitting and probably waiting that when I will pick it up for cooking!! Some how I did not get mood to cook bitter gourd,since we always make "Gojju" out of bitter gourd.

And as I told you I was bored of the same things I was postponing to use the bitter gourd!

But today I suddenly remembered that, many days back, while I was talking to my brother, he had told me recipe of bitter gourd curry,which sounded yummy and I thought that I should try it today.

So got excited to try the new recipe, since there was something new to look forward today. So started making it. My younger daughter usually wants to carry her while I am cooking so that she can see what I am doing and she keeps asking about all the ingredients name and repeat it.

Today also she asked me to carry and she said "I mells good amma"in her sweet language!!(It smells good mommy) That made me more exciting to cook and could not wait to finish it off.

My mother-in-law came from upstairs after her bath and asked me what is it that smelling so good!!

My brother is a very good cook,and if he gets mood to cook, he cooks really really good stuff,and that would be out of the world.

So today I love to share the very simple recipe of Bitter gourd curry/hagalakai palya, which was really very tasty, goes well with chapathis. Enjoy!!

Ingredients:

3-4 Bitter Gourd
1 Small onion
1 Tsp Fennel powder
1 Tsp Cumin powder
1 Tsp Coriander Powder
1 Tsp Red chili Powder(Or adjust according to taste)
Salt to taste
1 Tsp Sugar
2 Tbsp Oil

Method:

Wash bitter gourd and cut into small pieces. First slit the bitter gourd into half and from a spoon scrap the seeds and then cut into small pieces and keep aside. Cut onions into thin slices and keep aside.
In a pan add one tbsp of oil and add fennel powder,cumin powder,coriander powder and you can smell the aroma of all the spices,add bitter gourd and cover the lid and cook on a medium heat.

Take another pan and put one tbsp oil and add the onions and fry until its done and add sugar to it and keep it aside.

Once the bitter gourd is done, add the fried onions,salt,chili powder and serve hot with chapatis and enjoy!!

Tip: You can also make this okra!






No comments:

Post a Comment